Sunday 19 July 2009

Blade-Tech knife sharpener review

Tracy brought me a present back from the show she went to in Yorkshire - a Blade-Tech knife sharpener. I think it's one of the coolest tools I've used in a long time! Here it is:
The two grey wedges are tungsten carbide, which is extremely hard and easily sharpens steel.

Here's a billhook that needs sharpening:
To use the sharpener on a straight blade, you hold it firmly on a flat surface:
In this case the edge of the billhook blade also need reshaping first, and this is done by drawing the blade through the "V" between the carbide blocks at a 45 degree angle:
Then, to hone the blade you move the angle towards 90 degrees:
Finally, in this case, to do the curved part of the blade, you have to hold the billhook towards you and draw the sharpener over it:
Then you're left with a nice sharp edge:
Mike

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After reading your blog I got myself one of the Knife sharpeners from the following website http://www.airrifleshop.co.uk/Accessories/Knife_sharpeners.htm

Your article was spot on, it was the best £10 I have spent. Take it with me everytime I go out. A few quick strokes across the blade and my knife is like new.

Keep up the good work.

Ian