Monday 7 December 2009

Browse photos of our woodland and other places

I've finally completed the mammoth task of organising all the photos I've uploaded to Flickr over the past couple of years (3,078 so far!). Going forward it will be easier, as I can file the photos as they go in.

So, now you can browse the photos by category here:
www.flickr.com/photos/mikepepler/sets

or just view the latest uploads here:
www.flickr.com/photos/mikepepler

Over time I'll probably improve the organisation and mark my favourites, so don't forget to check back.

Mike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great to see your pictures - I always appreciate them, especially the birds. Can I be really nerdy and ask what your kit is? Thanks, Simon

Mike Pepler said...

Hi Simon. Most of the recent pictures are taken with a Nikon D60 SLR.

Scenes and close-ups of static objects are taken with the Nikon 18-55mm AF-S DX VR lens that came with the camera.

Zoom photos of birds, insects, etc. are taken using a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG lens.

The older photos, and occasional recent ones, are taken with a Panasonic FZ8.

You can tell them apart, as the Nikon photos start dsc_... while the Panasonic start P....

I still use the Panasonic when I haven't got space for the SLR, for example if I've cycled to the wood.

In both cases I always shoot in RAW, and use some software called Silkypix to process the pics into JPEG. Usually I just correct exposure, white balance and contrast, but sometimes enhance the sharpness as well. Knowing you can do this lets you be more flexible with the camera, for example under-exposing to allow a faster shutter speed, then correcting the exposure later.

Mike