Monday 20 October 2014

Making progress with coppicing

A good day today in the woods, yielding more than two cubic metres of split and stacked logs:

DSC_2176

I've cleared up most of the windblow now, and have been able to move on to actual felling. So this view from a few weeks ago:
DSC_2058

now looks like this:
DSC_2180

There's a few nice sweet chestnuts coming down now, thudding to the ground around me as the wind blows. I've not been eating them though, I've been planting them, hoping to fill in some of the gaps left by windblown trees that didn't recover.
DSC_2195

A few fungi are in evidence again now, as we've had some rain, such as this Fly Agaric, or Amanita Muscaria:
DSC_2183

Geese are brightening my day up too, it's always nice to watch them fly overhead - they head out one way in the morning and head back in the afternoon. I think they're going to the Rye Harbour Nature Reserve for the day, and coming back to a lake near the wood to sleep...
DSC_2186

Mike

No comments: