Thursday 2 October 2014

Windblown coppice into firewood logs

I did a day's work in the wood this week, converting all the logs I'd winched and chainsawed earlier into firewood, ready to burn in a couple of years' time.

DSC_2086

It was an ideal time to use my Stein Arbor Trolley! I certainly wasn't filling it to the top though, as this was heavy, green wood I was moving - but it still reduced the number of trips back and forth significantly, and it's also easier pulling logs on wheels than dragging them, providing you have a fairly clear path to take.
DSC_2089

DSC_2098

DSC_2103

I prefer to season the wood in long lengths, so it's easier to handle and also so that the decision about what length to cut the firewood can be postponed until I know if it's for us or for a customer. So the next step is to use a maul and then wedges to split the wood:
DSC_2117

DSC_2122

I've made a video about this too, if you've not already watched it:


After that, it's just a few steps to the log pile:
DSC_2129

DSC_2133

That's about half our firewood for a year sorted already, and there's still more windblow to cut up!
DSC_2138

I see the weather is likely to turn properly to autumn soon, but hopefully I'll still find some drier days to carry on with the woodland work...

Mike

No comments: